What is Twitter?
Everybody has heard of it and more and more people and businesses are becoming part of it. Twitter is a way of instantly communicating via your PC, Mac, tablet or smartphone with other people who share your interests or who might be interested in your products or services.
When you post information (tweets) from your Twitter account you do so in no more than 140 characters. Twitter is a successful way to build brand awareness very quickly.
7 reasons why you should have a Twitter account
- It's FREE! Your Twitter account allows you to inform and attract customers at absolutely no financial cost to your business
- Twitter gives everyone the opportunity to immediately question, alert or promote - which cannot be achieved via e-mail
- Writing blog entries is a time-consuming task, so Twitter’s 140-character limit forces you to focus your massage and to write it quickly and efficiently
- Twitter eliminates issues associated with email such as a 'full inbox' or email bounces
- The power of retweet - when someone receives your tweet and forwards it to their followers, it extends your reach and often recruits new followers for your contact list
- Unlike Facebook and to a lesser extent emails, all 'tweets' are searchable which enable you to instantly track mentions of your company, product or service — or even your competitors!
- You can publish Twitter feeds directly into your website too which improve search engine rankings of your website pages
Top Twitter tips
- Do not spam your followers - you must talk about something other than yourself, so pose a question, suggest your followers read an article you have found of interest or inform of your updated blog
- Respond to all replies, even if only to let them know you got their message
- Don't use ALL CAPS IN YOUR UPDATES, which is a general online etiquette tip as it suggests your being aggressive
- Check your Twitter account on a regular basis - daily if possible. If you've made an effort to create an account, make an effort to monitor it
- Don't post your link multiple times! Once you have 'tweeted' trust technology to deliver it
Here are examples of regularly updated Twitter pages from personalities in sport, fashion, music and entertainment: